Monday, November 1, 2010

One year ago today...

Is when I woke up having had *the stroke* (one of 3) that started my Moyamoya journey.

All I can say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES!!!!!!

People who don't know or understand tell me relax, it's all past you now. Well, actually, the strokes and surgeries are behind me, but there isn't a day that goes by where I can forget I have Moyamoya. I WILL ALWAYS HAVE MOYAMOYA! It cannot be cured, only surgically bypassed, which is just as good as a cure, but those Moyamoya vessels will always be there, and will always be blocked. Also, a few times a day, when I go from sitting to a standing/walking motion I get dizzy and light-headed. Not horribly, but enough that it feels better to hold on to something, close my eyes and hang or rest my head. My left foot also slightly *hums* (for a lack of a better description). It isn't really noticeable during the day but when I lay down at night to go to sleep and am still, I can feel it. Just another subtle reminder that I have Moyamoya.

But, I AM SO LUCKY! Those are the only effects that I have, and I can totally live with it!

***Just on a side note... November will be an emotional time for me. Last year at this time we were so lost and confused. All these scary things were happening to me and the doctors I was seeing had no idea what was going on. I was in and out of ICU a few times, as well as admitted to a small, local hospital. I had so much testing done and had everyone so scared and worried. It was a really scary month. ***

1 comment:

  1. In my eyes you are cured... technically, I know that it has been bypassed. I know it's always there... but your surgeries worked and the Lord was gracious to spare your life.

    As your friend, I know what you went through, and I know this shocked you to your core. With everything you went through, you always thought of your children first. This one year anniversary will continue to make you think back but please remember what you fought for then - it was deal with this speedbump and continue living for your kids.

    I know you will continue to be an inspiration to all those folks out there with Moyamoya... and now that you have this blog, you will not only help those locally, but now everyone in the world that is looking for more information. You and I have often talked about "why" you were given a 2nd chance and how you got away with such little time between the first symptom to the surgeries. It's getting clearer as more Moyamoya patients come within the radar that this disease isn't as "rare" as they thought. It sounds like this was your purpose in life. God chose a strong woman to be His personal cheerleader.

    I will be selfish in saying Thank GOD for sparing my friend... because I lean on you and cannot even begin to imagine my life without you. You are a huge, HUGE, blessing to all who know you. You are one amazing woman, mother, wife, friend, daughter, sister, auntie... the list goes on.

    Love you, sweetie!
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete